Fu2rman on Sports and Society: Where Are The Lakers Headed?
Google

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Where Are The Lakers Headed?


I went out to lunch with my Dad today.

We were discussing our happiness about the Lakers tanking this season, which is odd, because we both have loved the Lakers for as long as I can remember.

We also discussed my comment from my last post about LA missing Jerry West, and how Kobe is useless as a leader.

He brought up a point that West saw the writing on the wall and split for Memphis.

So that got me thinking, and I did a little research.

There are a few things to look at here.

First, West retired in late in 2000, he signed with the Grizzlies in April '02. He used the old, retirement wasn't what I expected, excuse. It took West a little more than one season to come back.

Second, knowing he still had the desire, the drive to run a team, why did he retire?

Great question.

Because West was a guy that was a part of the Lakers for four decades, from player, to executive, he always stayed loyal to players. With West at the helm, he paid himself and all the front office people less money, ensuring it was all about the players.

Let me restate that, Jerry West took less money to ensure he put a winning team on the floor.

Third, West has some success stories to talk about, he won A ring as a player, but SIX as an executive.

Then Jerry Buss' senility, or nepotism set in, and the Buss name started filling the front office jobs. Not to mention, Jeanie Buss and Phil Jackson started hittin' it, and Phil signs a big contract.

That went totally against the West philosophy.

Hence, the F#@% this place! I'm retired!

Now we have the Buss family running the show, who gave the team to Kobe, yuk, they have a shitty GM, that has no hope of a winning team for at least 2 years!

Here's how they are going to get out of this mess.

This pisses me off more than anything!

LA or New York will not be allowed to have such shitty teams in such major markets.

Watch the NBA fix the draft lottery...

The first pick in the NBA draft goes to....The New York Knicks!

Next year, substitute Lakers for Knicks.

I hope enough people see this bullshit, and let a great exec like West turn a bad expansion team into a winner.

As a Laker fan, here's what I see.

Nothing!

These chuckleheads do nothing for so many years to come. Jerry Buss dies at some point and his family drives the final stake in the Laker coffin.

The Lakers will be a great tradition destroyed; destroyed so Jerry's kids can have a freakin' job.

I don't mean those MS kids, I'm talking senility, alzheimer's, whatever is affecting Jerry Buss, giving his kids jobs.

He has made so many bad moves in the past few years, I have nothing more to say,

except...

Rest In Peace old man, you wrecked the only good LA team left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home