Fu2rman on Sports and Society: Maybe Later
Google

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Maybe Later


Like I said, I'm not going to hold my breath about Toronto taking a lead into the 9th.

I'm glad I didn't, because they lost by one run today.

I'd say tomorrow, which is later today as once again I'm up well after midnight, is a great chance to see Miguel Batista close against the Sox.

David Boomer Wells rolls into Toronto (pun intended) with his 8.31 ERA to face Roy Halladay and his 2.57 ERA.

I know, one game does not make a season, I shouldn't count on these ERA's being anywhere close to this at seasons end. They should both end up in the high 3's or low 4's.

Perfect! Toronto could take a small lead into the 9th.

I can't help it, I'm looking so forward to seeing Boston vs. Batista in a save situation.

Let me shift gears just a bit.

I had an email about Batista, I deleted it by mistake before I could respond. He can read the answer here instead.

The question was basically, so you think Miguel Batista is going to be one of the premier closers in the league? I have Rivera, should I drop him and get Batista?

Yikes! Hell F#@%ing No!

Let me clarify, Batista will never be a premier closer, you know he is playing in Toronto, right?

They only won 67 games all year last year.

Yankees won 101, Rivera saved 53.

If that ratio holds true, you can expect maybe 34 saves from Batista.

But you should pick him up.

That is, if your league will allow you to use him as a STARTING pitcher, which he was all year last year, except those few games he showed he could be a solid closer. Rotate him around your starting lineup, and you'll have an extra closer, picking up a save here, a save there.

You should ace the save category.

I am at the moment.

I have Lidge, Rivera, and Dotel, and as a starter, Batista.

Lidge and Batista each have two saves, the rest, none.

Dotel and Rivera are going to save more games than Batista even if he is on pace with Lidge.

Batista is one of those guys that has spent his career in the National League, except last year when he got mostly rocked as a starter. A few good innings, then not so good.

So there you have it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home