Fu2rman on Sports and Society: This Will Be A Great Test
Google

Sunday, October 02, 2005

This Will Be A Great Test

Who is the American League MVP?

If the votes don't come in for the obvious choice, the award will be meaningless.



Here are the front runners...


The Boston Red Sox Designated Hitter, David Ortiz.






And,





The Yankee's 3rd Baseman, Alex Rodriguez.



I know what you are all thinking, of course the Fu2rman is going to say A-Rod deserves it, he's a Yankee fan.

Well, you're right, but let me show that I come to my decision based on reason, and not my love of the Yankee's.


My favorite player is Mariano Rivera, I've said that many times. His name has been thrown into the hat as a Cy Young candidate.

I say, that is totally wrong!

A Cy Young winner should never be a closer. Even though Rivera is the most dominant closer ever, he doesn't deserve a Cy Young.

Once Rivera retires, I propose the Mariano Rivera Award, for the best closer of the season!

However, a Cy Young winner should be able to put up a stellar ERA, 15-20 wins, a low WHIP (walks+hits per innings pitched), and rack up a fair amount of Strikeouts.

We should not even be talking about Rivera, we should be talking about Bartolo Colon of the Angels, Johan Santana of the Twins, and maybe Mark Buehrle of the White Sox.

I'll leave it at that.

Just like a closer should not win the Cy Young, a DH should never be considered for the MVP, unless he absolutly destroys everyone in all the Batting stats.

And David Ortiz did not do that.

We'll look at the basic stats, Batting Average, Homeruns, RBI's, Runs, and Stolen Bases.

I'll put the numbers side by side, Ortiz in Red Sox Red, and A-Rod in Yellow, since I can't do pinstripes.

Batting Avg. .318/.299
Homeruns 48/47
RBI's 147/130
Runs 124/118
Stolen Bases 21/1

If A-Rod never took the field to play defense, you would have a good race, but he does, and does it well.

A-Rod, in 159 games has made only 12 Errors, and has a .971 Fielding Percentage.

With stats like that, he should also be in the running for a Golden Glove.

So on top of A-Rod being an outstanding defensive player, he has a better Batting Average, 1 more HR, more Runs scored, and actually finds time to steal bases, but trails in RBI's.

If Alex Rodriguez loses this award to David Ortiz, the award is meaningless.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pastorius said...

Fu2rman,
There may be one closer in history who deserved to win the Cy Young; Mike Marshall of the 1972 Dodgers.

As my memory serves, he appeared in 110 games, saving close to 50, and posted a 1.20 ERA.

That's the most dominant closer ever, if not Eric Gagne.

Sorry, bro, as rational as you are, I think you have those horse-race vision blocker thingies on your eyes.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home