Fu2rman on Sports and Society: Pacers-Pistons
Google

Friday, May 20, 2005

Pacers-Pistons

I feel this must be addressed.

Last night was Reggie Miller's last game, ever.

This was to be his last season, so however far they went in the post season, was how long his career would last.

Last night was the end.

I was never a big fan of Reggie, probably because I never liked the Indiana Pacers.

I would always be rooting for the other team, and it drove me nuts how good he was.

Same feeling I had about Karl Malone, John Stockton, Isaiah Thomas, or Larry Bird.

I hated those guys, but if I could have them on my favorite team, I'd take 'em in a second.

I'm sure you can relate.

It's the same reason everyone except Yankee fans hate Derek Jeter.

So I watched, with great respect, as Reggie walked off the court for the last time. Fitting, it was at home in Indy.

Then in one of the most classy moves I've ever seen, Piston coach Larry Brown takes a timeout, just so Reggie Miller's standing ovation could continue.

Even after The Brawl in Detroit, between the Pacers and the Pistons, all the Pistons walked out onto the court and joined in the ovation.

This makes me think, I hope that punk Ron Artest was watching, so he can learn a little something about class.

Reggie, I agree with your fans, ONE MORE YEAR!!

You will be missed....


Now, one last thing.



I was at the NBA Finals, game 4 at The Forum, when the Pistons swept the Lakers, in 1989.

Then I watched them beat the Lakers again last year in the Finals.

Needless to say, I have no love for the Pistons.

Like I said below, I don't know yet who I'm picking in the Detroit-Miami series. But, I am starting to want to root for Detroit.

It would be beautiful, they shut down Shaq's team 2 years in a row. They host a classless Ron Artest and the rest of the Pacers, and Artest insights the biggest melee seen in the history of American sports. Then walk into the Pacers house, and show more than respect for Reggie, the 12th leading scorer in NBA history.

You know, except the part about beating them, and knocking them out of the playoffs and ending his career....



The Pistons are starting to emerge as that elite kind of team, a Patriots, a pre give-Kobe-the-team Lakers, and dare I say, a Yankees.

Why do I make such a bold statement?

Strong leadership, that doesn't allow super rich, super immature, little chuckle-heads get away with murder, or rape, whatever the case may be.

Have you noticed Rasheed Wallace?

Under Larry Brown's leadership, he doesn't get in trouble anymore.

And now, he has a Ring, coincidence?

I think not.

Take a Tom Brady, Patriots Quarterback, signing a fair, but not the biggest, contract he could get, just to keep the team together.

Young super-stars to be, Carmello, LeBron, Dwayne Wade, if you want to be truly successful, look to the Larry Browns, the Reggie Millers, the Tom Brady's, even the new-and-improved Rasheed Wallace, and any of the Detroit Pistons.

Let go of just a 1/4 of your greed.

You'll still be extremely rich, and your team will be able to afford a whole team.

Kobe's Lakers won't be signing anybody next year, you know, over the salary cap and all, hope you're happy Kobe, Laker fans, like myself, ARE NOT!

Thugs, and I mean you too Kobe, you could learn something here.

But I know, you won't.

I guess Sports Agents will be an upcoming topic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home