Fu2rman on Sports and Society: I almost feel sad...
Google

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

I almost feel sad...



So the Angels are letting David Eckstein go, having signed Orlando Cabrera.

Now to be clear I am a Yankee fan that grew up 10 minutes from the Angels home. I always liked the Angels, but '95 was the last straw. They had to win, like 1 game out of 12, and they couldn't pull that off? Even in 2002 when they won the World Series, I was happy for them, but I felt like I could not be one the bandwagon Angels fans. So I quietly smiled inside, congradulated my Angel fan friends, and told them they wouldn't be able to touch the Yankees next year. Oh, by the way, I was right about that, but I didn't rub it in their faces like they did to me.

The following year the Angels made the worst mistake possible. They re-signed the entire team. Including Eckstein. Bahb and I talked about this and his comment was perfect, the '02 Angels caught lightning in a bottle. Since '02 I've been saying the Angels need a shortstop. We watched A-Rod sign with the Yankees, Tejada go to Baltimore, and even Nomar move to the Cubs.

Now two seasons after Eck was part of a World Series team, he has been let go. I, of all people should be happy to see him go. I've been saying it since '02, and I was finally proven right. Sometimes though, this being right all the time becomes a burden.

I will make my point now, Art Moreno, the Angel's new owner has done some good things. Vlad Guerrero for one, for two lowering beer prices at the stadium. I only mention this because it is a crock, he lowered the price by 25 cents, big deal, domestic beer is only $7 now! When I was at Yankee Stadium they were selling the big Fosters can and the big Sapporo cans for $5. Bigger beer, imported, and 2 bucks cheaper. go Yankees!

Here is what continues to make me a Yankee fan before an Angel fan.
Steinbrenner would have known he wanted a new shortstop after '02. He would have known that Eck could go out and make some decent money as the defending champion shortstop, but not Moreno. He held him until his contract was up, his price plummets, then let him go? Trade him last year, or sign him this year at a discount. No loyalty to a fan favorite, one I might add that seems to gain popularity each year.

I don't think Moreno gets how to be a good owner.

There is the whole thing about wanting to call the team the LA Angels, that is downright offensive to people of Anahiem and Orange County as a whole. When the San Francisco Giants clinched the National League in '02, their fans where chanting 'beat LA!' knowing they would meet the Angels in the World Series. All of us from OC where saying what a bunch of jackasses! Now the owner wants to be one of those jackasses. Eck has become insanely popular with Angel fans. His hustle is how the game was meant to be played.

Now he's gone.

Angel fan's now you have Cabrera, I guarantee you won't like him as much. He's good, but I don't like the way he plays. I'll save that for later in the year when he shows you what I mean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home